One­stop solution for doing business in Japan for Non­-Japanese speakers / Accounting・Tax filing・International tax consulting.

  Individual income tax return filing in Japan for foreigners (Latest 2021-2022)

Articles & News Individual income tax return filing in Japan for foreigners (Latest 2021-2022)

2017.08.09 Individual Income Tax

Residential status

To confirm the taxation in Japan for Individual’s income, you firstly need to check your residential status in Japan.

Foreigner (Individual) can be categorized to “Resident” and “Non-Resident”.

And furthermore, “Resident” is divided to “Permanent Resident” and “Non-Permanent Resident”.

Scope of taxation in Japan is totally different depending on whether which resident status the person belongs to.

Resident status



Are you non-resident owner of Japanese property?

If yes, please see the recommended articles below for Non-resident Japanese property owner’s taxation.


Scope of taxation in Japan for Individuals

For “Non-Resident”, only Japanese sourced income is taxable in Japan.

In case of “Non-Permanent Resident”, Foreign sourced income paid in Japan or remitted to Japan is also taxable in Japan in addition to income from sources in Japan. If foreign sourced income is received overseas, and is not remitted to Japan, it would be non-taxable in Japan.

Meanwhile, if you are categorized as “Permanent Resident (excluding Non-Permanent Resident)”, all the income would be taxable in Japan, including foreign sourced income which is not remitted to Japan.

This is “Zensekai Shotoku Kazei (全世界所得課税)”.

Hence, as above, it’s most important whether which category you belong to.

Here is the summary of scope of taxation in Japan for Individuals.


Scope of taxation


Definition of Non-Resident, Non-Permanent Resident and Permanent Resident

Any individual who has a domicile or owns a residence continuously for one year or more is classified as a “Resident”.

Among “Resident”, any individual of Non-Japanese nationality having domicile or residence in Japan for an aggregate period of 5 years or less within the last 10 years is classified as a “Non-Permanent Resident”.

Resident other than “Non-Permanent Resident” is classified as “Permanent Resident”.

Any individual other than “Resident” mentioned above is classified as a “Non-Resident”.


How to decide Resident or Non-Resident

As above, any individual who has a domicile or owns a residence continuously for one year or more is classified as a “Resident”. And others are “Non-Resident”.

But you have to be careful about the following points.

  1. If a person who owns a residence in Japan leaves Japan with the intent to be absent temporarily and later reenter Japan, the person shall be treated as having been residing in Japan during the period of absence. The intention to be absent temporarily will be presumed if, during the period of absence, (a) the person’s spouse or relatives remain in the household in Japan, (b) the person retains a residence or a room in a hotel for residential use after returning to Japan, or (c) the person’s personal property for daily use is kept in Japan for use upon return to Japan.
  2. If a person comes to Japan to work for Japanese company based on one year or more employment contract, the person becomes “Resident” from the time the person enters into this employment contract.


As the judgement of which category you belong to is practically quite complicated, we recommend you should ask Japanese tax accountant about that.


Are you non-resident owner of Japanese property?

If yes, please see the recommended articles for Non-resident Japanese property owner’s taxation.


Who should submit individual income tax return?

Most expats in Japan will be categorized as “Non-Permanent Resident”.

Hence we will explain here about who should submit individual income tax return for Non-Permanent Resident.

In case a person has employment income, the person needs to submit individual income tax return in any following case.


  • If total amount of annual employment income is exceeding 20m JPY
  • If the person receive employment income from overseas employer, which is not covered by withholding tax in Japan
  • If the person receive employment income from just one employer, and all the employment income is withheld in Japan, and the total of other taxable income (excluding employment income and retirement allowance) is exceeding JPY200,000, and other cases


Hence, if the person receive employment income from only one employer (which is Japanese company and employment income is covered by withholding tax in Japan), and total annual employment income is not exceeding 20m JPY, and does not have any other income, you may not submit individual income tax return in Japan.

If you have receive employment income from overseas employer as well, as it’s generally Japanese sourced income (not Foreign sourced income) , it should be taxable in Japan even if it is not remitted to Japan.

Also, please be careful about vested stock option and RSU granted from foreign parent company.

For more detail for RSU, stock option, please see below.

Filing a tax return in Japan for Share-based compensation (RSUs, Stock Options, ESPP) from overseas parent company)


This is, you would need to submit individual tax return in Japan for such case.


Deduction from income and Tax credits

There are some deduction from income and tax credits.

Non-Permanent residents also can enjoy the following deduction and tax credits.


<Deduction from income>

  • Employment income deduction
  • Deduction for casualty losses
  • Deduction for medical expenses
  • Deduction for social insurance premiums
  • Deduction for life insurance premiums and personal pension plan premiums
  • Deduction for long-term care and medical care
  • Deduction for personal pension plan premiums
  • Deduction for fire and other casualty insurance premiums
  • Deduction for contributions or donations
  • Deduction for spouse
  • Deduction for dependents
  • Basic Deduction etc.


<Tax credits>

  • Foreign tax credit
  • Special tax credit for home acquisition loan etc.


Basically, foreign insurance premiums are out of scope of these deduction.

However, as for deduction for spouse and dependents, even if they live overseas, they may apply if certain conditions are met.


Japanese income tax rates

Japanese national individual income tax rate for 2015 and after is as below.

tax rate


If taxable income is JPY7,000,000 (after deduction of income), income tax would be JPY974,000 (JPY7,000,000 x 23% – 636,000).


From 1 January 2013 through 31 December 2037, a surtax known as the Special Reconstruction Income tax (2.1% of standard income tax amount) applies in addition to above national income tax.

And local tax (total 10% of taxable income) is separately levied, and enterprise tax will be also levied if you are self employed person.


When is filing and payment due date (FY 2021)?

As for the individual income tax, taxpayers shall calculate the amount of income, income tax and special income tax for reconstruction by themselves with respect to the whole income earned from January 1 through December 31 of the relevant year in accordance with their own residential status (refer to above), file a return to the District Director of Tax Office during the period from February 16 through March 15 of the following year, and adjust any excess or shortage in tax payment withheld at the source or prepaid on the basis of estimated tax.

This procedure is called the filing of the final return.

Payment due date is same as filing due date.


For filing and payment of next individual income tax return for 2021 (1 Jan 2021 to 31 Dec 2021), filing and payment due date will be 15 Mar 2021 (Tue).


Please get a quote from here!


Related News Related News

Related News Featured News

No Featured news

Client Testimonial

Dr. Dirk Heinrich Neumann / JADEA K.K. CEO

With company headquarters in Berlin, San Diego and Tokyo, I can highly recommend the services by Shimada-san. He and his company work on solutions that were always suited to my company needs in Japan. Having a one-stop solution platform in Japan is very valuable and the friendly staff handles company matter bilingually. From a business standpoint, Japan has gotten more attractive over the past few years and requires companies to adapt fast in order to benefit from these changes. Transparent fee structures as well as knowledgeable staff make him a good and recommendable partner in Japan.

James Chie / Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. Head of a Multinational Corporate Banking Division in Singapore

I highly recommend Shimada and Associates as a highly qualified accountant for both individuals and businesses. This past year, I was looking for a highly qualified english speaking accountant who would be able to handle my complex real estate related tax matters in Japan. Thankfully I was referred to Shimada and Associates as they not only had an office in Japan, but also was conveniently located in downtown Singapore where I currently reside.
Shimada was extremely professional and answered quickly and coherently every question I had regarding tax matters for myself and my entire real estate investor group. Shimada and his team expeditiously handled every inquiry presented, while recommending the most optimal solution regarding my tax filing. As a result we were all extremely pleased at how smooth the tax filing process ended up, and found Shimada to be extremely transparent. We are excited to continue using Shimada and Associates as our tax accountant given their depth and understanding of Japanese accounting rules and doing so at a very reasonable cost.

Varden Vadiveloo / Stylus Japan K.K. / Finance Director (Stylus Media Group)

We have been working with Kota Shimada for almost one year and have been very impressed by his expertise and understanding of our business. We have always received professional and expert advice regarding our accounts, payroll and tax matters. Kota always responds very quickly to emails despite working in different time zones. I would recommend Shimada & Associates to anyone looking for exceptional accounting support services in Japan.

Susan Spann / Author of The Hiro Hattori Novel

Shimada & Associates provides prompt, detailed service that makes filing my taxes easy. I recommend them to everyone who needs to file taxes in Japan.

As an American with income both inside and outside Japan, I was worried about filing Japanese taxes. Shimada & Associates made the process easy. Now, with their expert help, my taxes are always finished properly and on time.

Kota Shimada takes the fear out of filing taxes in Japan. Whether you have foreign income, Japanese income, or a combination of the two, Shimada & Associates can prepare and file your Japanese taxes promptly and efficiently—they make the process easy.

I am so glad I found Shimada & Associates. Their prompt, professional services make me confident that my Japanese taxes are prepared and filed properly every year—and they make the process easy.

Shimada & Associates takes the guesswork out of filing taxes in Japan. From proper reporting of foreign income to deductions like furusato nozei, their professionalism and experience makes the process easy. I recommend them to anyone who needs to file taxes in Japan.

Wayne Baxter / Representative of Wayne’s English school

I have used Shimada and Associates services for help with my taxes for the last couple of years. 
The service is very good. I always received a reply within minutes whenever I had questions and queries. They always provided me with clear explanations and every matter is handled smoothly. Dealing with Shimada & Associates is very reassuring as I know I can hand everything over to them and there are no problems. I highly recommend this company.